Friday, November 16, 2007

Ouija/Talking Boards

Well, this is the first post in my séance log. I've also posted this in the livejournal community seance_circle.

I plan on beginning this personal séance log to record, in details, the contents of my future séance sessions. The idea is to make a basic record of the proceedings, whether or not any phenomena is experienced. Because I'll be doing my best to keep only serious participants in my séance circle, I realize that there may be sessions where nothing of interest happens. I also plan on audio recording all of my sessions--if I encounter something of special interest, I'll be sure to post the audio record here, too.

I've been looking around to replace my tacky glow-in-the-dark Ouija Board (no self-respecting ghost would visit it ^_^). Since talking boards (the non-trademarked name for Ouija Boards and the like) are basically starter kits for holding your own séances, I figured it would be a good way to start out.

The instructions can be located here, or I found this authentic photo of the instructions that were printed on the back of older, wooden Ouija Boards:

ouija
Click to Enlarge



Finally, I thought this was very amusing:

This is the description of the most current version of the Ouija board game as described by toysrus.com.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I found the first "feature" to be especially funny, but pretty much the whole description is humorous. "How it works has been a mystery for over 30 years"? While that is true, for a game that started in 1848, it may be a bit of an understatement ;)

No comments: